30 for 30 Winter, day 11. My mod style

16 Feb

Here I am, last Thursday. I go back in time like that.

A few weeks ago I was checking out Cloud of Secrets‘ blog when I came across a phrase at the end of the post that caught my eye: “I’d also like to learn more about new blog friend The House in the Clouds.” Looks like I coincidentally wandered into being tagged with a Stylish Blogger Award. Sweet!

I’m a sucker for such memes. I absolutely love reading things about people that might not otherwise make it into their posts. Without further ado, I unabashedly reveal to you the following:

1. For years many people in my life thought I only had one sister. I have two. It doesn’t matter which one I’m referring to, they’re both so significant in my life that I speak about them with such importance and familial propriety that I always say “my sister” with the emphasis on “my”. I know it’s odd, I just never think to create a distinction between the two, even though they’re different. It doesn’t matter if it’s baby sister one or baby sister two, they’re both my baby sisters. One love.

2. At 25, I found myself broken-hearted and feeling like I hadn’t done justice to any of my dreams. Without knowing the first thing about doing so, I started a band. I’ve sung all my life, I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t do it. It was an incredible experience to be onstage, deal with stage fright, make up lyrics on the fly that one time I froze and forgot them all. I’ve since refined my ability to improvise on the fly. I’ve also recorded a track for my best friends’ band on their last album and hope to record more in the future.

3. I did not go to art school. I’ve been earning a living in the field of design since I was a teen. I learned from my dad who is a designer. I worked with him until I branched off. For that reason, I didn’t discover that I could actually draw until my early 30′s. Imagine my surprise. I don’t draw often, I’ll trust I will enter a phase someday when I will draw until I can’t draw any more.

That’s baby sister, Frederique. She’s professional belly dancer

4. I used to think I was really shy. I turns out I was probably maladjusted and culture shocked. Not speaking English and needing glasses badly probably didn’t help, either. I’m not shy. So much so that last year when I was presenting a design round at work, the CEO of my Fortune 500 company was brought in as a surprise guest. He grilled me on every aspect of the strategy. Everyone in the room was mortified and apologetic to me that this happened. No need, I had a blast. We even laughed a bunch. Definitely not shy.

5. When I was young, before (gasp!) the internet, I would go to the public library and read the Chilton’s manuals for my car, write the instructions down, and go back home and work on it. My sister and I changed the brakes on my dad’s car. Several years later she and I changed the head gasket on my car. It goes back to believing at my core that there’s nothing I can’t do, only stuff I haven’t learned how to do yet. I have no problem being a total beginner if it means I’m learning something.

6. I have Celiac. I didn’t discover this until I was 39. I didn’t even know how bad I felt all the time because I had no idea what it was like to feel “normal”. I love feeling great now. I don’t care how much effort it takes to avoid gluten, it’s totally worth it.

7. I’m unbelievably allergic to poison oak. I get it all the time. Sometimes, it makes sense because I was outdoors. Other times, I couldn’t begin to tell you how I contracted it. The hubby is always amazed at my ability to develop that lovely rash. I can now treat a poison oak reaction in no time flat. That’s how many times I’ve had it.

The rules of engagement are as follows:
- Thank and link back to the person who awarded you
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Award 10 recently discovered great bloggers
- Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award

I’m going to cheat a little here. You might remember that a while back I was tagged with a Versatile Blogger Award by Rose of Lovely Ladypants McGee. At the time I didn’t feel qualified to tag people yet so I publicly postponed suggested tagging. I’m going to tag ten bloggers now and, well, absolve myself of having to tag another ten and just consider the whole thing fair and square. Which is technically cheating. But only a little.

Here are my tagged ten in no particular order, peeps that I would like to get to know more about:

1. Emma, Daily Clothes Fix
2. Arash, ArashMazinani
3. Brett, Silvergirl
4. Yvonne, Vogue Inspired Fashion for the Real World
5. Mackenzie, Whatever, Gatsby
6. Franca, Oranges and Apples
7. Collette, Statements in Fashion
8. Sherry, Girl’s Day Out
9. Alice, Lovelorn Frog
10. Nicole, Graph Paper Heart

I would have had an even longer list that would have included additional lovelies such as Jodi, Bella, Stephanie and B, alas someone had beat me to it recently and I didn’t want to be redundant. Just sayin’.

Deets: Mod dress/H&M, black turtleneck/Benetton, black leggings/Hue, silver and mother-of-pearl necklace/Lois Hill, black ankle boots/Munro.

Photo: Euan Rannachan

Tags: , , , , ,

1. T.

February 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Nice look and congrats on the blog award!
    T. recently posted..Claws 4

2. Franca

February 17, 2011 at 1:23 am

Hi, thanks so much for the tag. It might be a while before I do one, but i will! Your sister thing made me laugh! I guess it kind of makes sense!
    Franca recently posted..Feminist Fashion Bloggers – blog event!

3. Collette Osuna

February 17, 2011 at 2:50 am

1. LOVE the Mod Dress, like in a sick way, lol…..2. Loved learning more about you…you are so talented with your drawing……3. Thank you for passing the award to me…you are super sweet:)

Stop by and say Hello:)
    Enter my EL Vintage Giveaway!!♥

4. Fashnlvr

February 17, 2011 at 7:24 am

I adore the color blocking on the dress you are wearing today. Awesome dress! You have MAD drawing SKILZ! Fabulous drawing – your sister is beautiful!
    Thank you for tagging me! Now – are there 7 things about me anyone would care to know?
    Fashnlvr recently posted..Wednesday Webbies- Blog Analytics Dissected Series

February 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Congratulations on the blog award. So well deserved and it’s wonderful to learn more about you.

Thanks so much for passing it on. It means so much and I’m in wonderful company. I’ll do my best to post my answers very soon.
    Emma at Daily Clothes Fix recently posted..30 for 30- Black and tan

6. Gracey

February 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

If I could draw like that (or at all), all I would do is draw. I think it’s very cool though that it was a talent you didn’t know you had – what a wonderful surprise.
    Gracey recently posted..The Perfect Midi

7. brett

February 17, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Loving the dress!!
    I feel honored.
    The pressure is on now to find something interesting about myself. LOL
    Thanks again
    Brett

8. Katie

February 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Love the dress!

9. Arash Mazinani

February 18, 2011 at 8:39 am

Thank for passing on the stylish blogger award I’m away for the weekend but I’ll definitely get it done once I’m back. I’m now following you on twitter @arashmazinani so I’ll hit you back once I’ve answered my questions :-) .
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Friend Friday- Body Image

10. Linda W

February 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

The dress caught my eye immediately. It looks awesome on you – the print is great.
    What a talented artist you are! You don’t need school to learn that, it sounds like you were trained from your father in the best way!

The Auspicious Life
    Linda W recently posted..A Limerick

February 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm

#5 impresses me deeply. I’ve been spoiled by a partner who does these things for me.
    Terri recently posted..Checkers

February 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

GREAT post.. love your answers… and you ARE amazing.. you sing?? and do mechanics??? you ROCK Sista.. big time!!! xoxo J

okay, I officially have a girl crush on you :) xoxo :P
    Jodi recently posted..Remix 18- Brown Skirt

• Fabienne Jach

February 23, 2011 at 6:51 am

(Girl crush right back at you!) Hope your training is going well, darlin’

13. Cloud of Secrets

February 23, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks for answering the tag, m’dear! I’m sorry it’s taken me so shamefully long to reply. We’re dealing with a houseful of strep throat here, and I’ve been holed up reading The Thoughtful Dresser, then writing obsessively about childhood fashion repressions!

But here I am. Have I missed pictures of you performing in your band? Please point me to them if they’re available. I’d love to see them! I’m off to listen to your track when I’m done here.

I love that your parents had the faith in your car research and work to let you (and themselves) drive on your repair work. I wish I knew more about car functioning. My dad always did the work on our family cars, and it saved the family a bundle. Too, I’d wager his work was more trustworthy than some random shop’s. I am at least comfortable in my ability to put on a spare or execute a jump, as long as my car manual is at hand, and I’ve always been an AAA member!

The drawing of Frederique is mysterious and gorgeous. I like to draw sometimes, too, although I’m not very well-trained. I’m hoping to really dig into my box of Sennelier pastels this spring — I love the idea of working with texture and soft color that doesn’t need drying time.
    Cloud of Secrets recently posted..Cloud of Hangups

14. attorney case

December 8, 2016 at 7:11 am

Hello to all, since I am truly keen of reading this weblog’s post to
    be updated on a regular basis. It includes nice stuff.
    attorney case recently posted..attorney case