A few weeks ago I was checking out Cloud of Secrets‘ blog when I came across a phrase at the end of the post that caught my eye: “I’d also like to learn more about new blog friend The House in the Clouds.” Looks like I coincidentally wandered into being tagged with a Stylish Blogger Award. Sweet!
I’m a sucker for such memes. I absolutely love reading things about people that might not otherwise make it into their posts. Without further ado, I unabashedly reveal to you the following:
1. For years many people in my life thought I only had one sister. I have two. It doesn’t matter which one I’m referring to, they’re both so significant in my life that I speak about them with such importance and familial propriety that I always say “my sister” with the emphasis on “my”. I know it’s odd, I just never think to create a distinction between the two, even though they’re different. It doesn’t matter if it’s baby sister one or baby sister two, they’re both my baby sisters. One love.
2. At 25, I found myself broken-hearted and feeling like I hadn’t done justice to any of my dreams. Without knowing the first thing about doing so, I started a band. I’ve sung all my life, I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t do it. It was an incredible experience to be onstage, deal with stage fright, make up lyrics on the fly that one time I froze and forgot them all. I’ve since refined my ability to improvise on the fly. I’ve also recorded a track for my best friends’ band on their last album and hope to record more in the future.
3. I did not go to art school. I’ve been earning a living in the field of design since I was a teen. I learned from my dad who is a designer. I worked with him until I branched off. For that reason, I didn’t discover that I could actually draw until my early 30′s. Imagine my surprise. I don’t draw often, I’ll trust I will enter a phase someday when I will draw until I can’t draw any more.
4. I used to think I was really shy. I turns out I was probably maladjusted and culture shocked. Not speaking English and needing glasses badly probably didn’t help, either. I’m not shy. So much so that last year when I was presenting a design round at work, the CEO of my Fortune 500 company was brought in as a surprise guest. He grilled me on every aspect of the strategy. Everyone in the room was mortified and apologetic to me that this happened. No need, I had a blast. We even laughed a bunch. Definitely not shy.
5. When I was young, before (gasp!) the internet, I would go to the public library and read the Chilton’s manuals for my car, write the instructions down, and go back home and work on it. My sister and I changed the brakes on my dad’s car. Several years later she and I changed the head gasket on my car. It goes back to believing at my core that there’s nothing I can’t do, only stuff I haven’t learned how to do yet. I have no problem being a total beginner if it means I’m learning something.
6. I have Celiac. I didn’t discover this until I was 39. I didn’t even know how bad I felt all the time because I had no idea what it was like to feel “normal”. I love feeling great now. I don’t care how much effort it takes to avoid gluten, it’s totally worth it.
7. I’m unbelievably allergic to poison oak. I get it all the time. Sometimes, it makes sense because I was outdoors. Other times, I couldn’t begin to tell you how I contracted it. The hubby is always amazed at my ability to develop that lovely rash. I can now treat a poison oak reaction in no time flat. That’s how many times I’ve had it.
The rules of engagement are as follows:
- Thank and link back to the person who awarded you
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Award 10 recently discovered great bloggers
- Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award
I’m going to cheat a little here. You might remember that a while back I was tagged with a Versatile Blogger Award by Rose of Lovely Ladypants McGee. At the time I didn’t feel qualified to tag people yet so I publicly postponed suggested tagging. I’m going to tag ten bloggers now and, well, absolve myself of having to tag another ten and just consider the whole thing fair and square. Which is technically cheating. But only a little.
Here are my tagged ten in no particular order, peeps that I would like to get to know more about:
1. Emma, Daily Clothes Fix
2. Arash, ArashMazinani
3. Brett, Silvergirl
4. Yvonne, Vogue Inspired Fashion for the Real World
5. Mackenzie, Whatever, Gatsby
6. Franca, Oranges and Apples
7. Collette, Statements in Fashion
8. Sherry, Girl’s Day Out
9. Alice, Lovelorn Frog
10. Nicole, Graph Paper Heart
I would have had an even longer list that would have included additional lovelies such as Jodi, Bella, Stephanie and B, alas someone had beat me to it recently and I didn’t want to be redundant. Just sayin’.
Deets: Mod dress/H&M, black turtleneck/Benetton, black leggings/Hue, silver and mother-of-pearl necklace/Lois Hill, black ankle boots/Munro.