Project ReStyle

01 Mar
boots, glitter, dyi

Magical boots

We’re definitely not in Kansas anymore. A while back I read about this project on A Beautiful Mess and was intrigued. Since I’m one who’s propensity to take on more than I realistically should sometimes gets me in trouble I found myself hesitant to officially commit.

One baby step at a time moved me forward onto the path of completion. I was inspired by these gold shoes. I’d wanted a pair of silvery shoes or boots for a while. These ankle boots were in the bag going to Out of The Closet when I saved them just in the nick of time. They’re made very well, the sole and last are still in perfect condition and they were pricey because they accommodate custom orthotics. However, several winters of daily wear and tear on San Francisco’s streets and sidewalks eventually tore and scratched much of the leather.

boots, paint, glitter, DYI

A well-loved pair of boots

Harkening back to my Bowie days, I immediately knew what I wanted to do. First, I coated them in a metallic indoor/outdoor bronze paint. Afterwards, they got several coats of magical glitter spray paint. Magical really is the name of the color, I’m not being fancy.

boots, paint, glitter, bronze, DYI

Two bronze base layers

I expect them to crack a bit and get rugged. That’s the kind of rock star character I want for these beauties. What’s left to say besides this?

Mission Accomplished!

boots, paint, glitter, DYI

Bowie would be proud

Last night kicked off the first monthly craft night that my friends and I put together. Knitting needles came out, lessons were given, buttons were secured back on and I officially started on the infinity scarf I’m giving away. This Wednesday I will be announcing the winner of my first ever giveaway. Check back to see who the lucky guy or gal is!

Posted in DIY, Fashion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Beautifully Invisible

March 1, 2011 at 7:37 am

LOVE! What a great way to breathe some new life into those boots. I am so NOT a DIYer but you have my wheels spinning about a few pairs of shoes that were about to be donated to Goodwill…

Can’t wait to see your creations in an outfit post!
    Beautifully Invisible recently posted..LINK LOVE with a TWIST- February 28- 2011

• Fabienne Jach

March 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm

As soon as the remix is over, I’m wearing them to work!

2. Gracey at Fashion For Giants

March 1, 2011 at 9:54 am

Bowie would be proud, and so am I! This is just brilliant – I think they turned out fabulously and I can’t wait to see how you style them!
    Gracey at Fashion For Giants recently posted..The Most Monday of Mondays

March 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

David Bowie and T-Rex would be fighting you over this fantastic boots!
    Ofelia recently posted..Today we went

March 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

That is a wonderful conversion. Can I send you a pair of my boots and get you to jazz them up for me? :-)
    Emma at Daily Clothes Fix recently posted..30 for 30- A zigzag route

• Fabienne Jach

March 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

As long as you’re in no hurry, ship them to me and I’ll paint away. It was fun:)

5. Fashnlvr

March 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

These are really cool! Great way to save a pair of boots!! I think your DIY is better than mine!! Definitely more fashionable – at least you can wear yours!!
    Fashnlvr recently posted..RECONsider &amp RECONstruct- Home Fashion DIY Project

• Fabienne Jach

March 1, 2011 at 10:54 pm

That’s just silly! They’re so different. I think they both rock!

6. Kirstin Marie

March 1, 2011 at 6:04 pm

WOW!!! These came out excellent. I love that the color name is Magical. That’s so fun. You’ve given me some fantastical ideas! :)

• Fabienne Jach

March 1, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I know, like how could I resist buying “magical”? Can’t wait to see what your ideas are.

7. Louise

March 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I’ve been seeing so DIYed glittered shoes lately! I love it! Great job– you pull things off like this so well.

• Fabienne Jach

March 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Thanks, Louise. It’s all trial, error and patience!