Manicure vs. life

05 Apr

Daily outfit and style tip, wearing pastel paisley dress with ivory shawl cardigan
Posing next to the lamb’s ear

You might have noticed that my fingernails are polished. This is a sign that I consciously chose to do nothing but thumb through the beast that is the March issue of Vogue for an hour on Sunday morning. While my beautiful orange nails dried I mapped out a day of much needed relaxation. I then proceeded to find my husband in the garden pulling weeds out of our little flower bed. So much for doing nothing.

Daily outfit and style tip, wearing pastel paisley dress
Warm enough for bare arms

One hour later: I’ve dirt under my orange fingernails and have pulled at a tenacious rogue mint with so much gusto that I’ve slammed my hand agains the retaining wall. The thumbnail is scratched, another is scuffed. At times, I pine for a lifestyle that would allow my nails two, perhaps three days of intact existence. I seem to be too busy busting through life to achieve this.

Did I mention how much fun it was to pull weeds and talk about what kind of ground cover we should plant between the pansies that uncannily thrived and multiplied over winter? So much fun that we followed it up with an hour and a half hike.

Daily outfit and style tip, wearing pastel paisley dress with pastel fishnets
Dainty details

{ style tip: }

When it’s too hot to wear tights but too early in the spring to bare your legs the daintiest of solutions lie in pastel fishnets. They not only add a hint of texture but do a wonderful job covering up the fact that your legs are not ready for summer. These were especially adorable adorned with hearts. Find a shade either slightly lighter or darker than your skin tone for a hint of contrast.

What do you do to prepare your legs for summer, do you have any particular routine or preparation? Do you get more exercise? Use tanners, or the old-fashioned sun?

Pastel paisley dress/H&M, ivory shawl collar cardigan/Old Navy, shoes/Naturalizer, pink heart fishnets/Urban Outfitters, silver and mother-of-pearl necklace and cuff/Lois Hill.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Allie

April 5, 2011 at 7:20 am

You are giving me the courage to wear the nude fishnets I recently acquired. You look great, thanks for the inspiration!
    Allie recently posted..My Weekend

2. GRIT & GLAMOUR

April 5, 2011 at 10:49 am

Your nails and dress look so pretty! Woman, you’ve got to at least wear some gloves if you’re going to garden promptly after a mani! They’d at least last a little longer.

Prepping my legs for summer? Maybe I do a little more leg work in the gym, throw on some moisturizer. Other than that, nothing. I’m white and I like it. I wear full body sunscreen in summer, and I go to the pool and I don’t care if I blind everyone. But muscle tone goes a long way, I must admit.
    GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW- Bermudas for a BBQ

3. Gracey at Fashion For Giants

April 5, 2011 at 10:51 am

I love lambs ear. It’s one of my favorites – I do hope we have some at our new house. That’s one interesting thing about moving – you never know what you’re going to get in your new garden.

I also love this outfit – very spring-y. And in response to your question, I just go for good ol’ fashioned sun. Admittedly, however, I’m pretty lucky because even in winter I retain some color.
    Gracey at Fashion For Giants recently posted..Do These Shoes Make Me Look Skinny

4. Louise

April 5, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the tights tip!! I totally agree, and can’t wait to put that tip to use!
    Louise recently posted..Outtakes

5. Fashnlvr

April 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm

The orange nails are very pretty! I love that dress with the tights. You look so very pretty!
    I haven’t had the stamina to check my March or April issues of Vogue. So much else to do!! Gardening gloves are a MUST for weed-pulling! Fortunate your hubby pulls weeds. Mine asks if we can just plant grass seed and be done!
    Prepping legs for summer = massive sunscreen! I am a white whitegirl!!
    Fashnlvr recently posted..Short Pump Mall- Project Style Round 1

April 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Fabienne, you look very pretty and feminine! I really like your hair up because it shows your fantastic bone structure!!!
    I going to try the nude fishnets !!
    Ofelia recently posted..What Ive being

April 5, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I love the ruffle on your dress and the story about pulling weeds with manicured nails. I think that’s why I generally skip manicuring. As for the legs, I like to let the sun give them a bit of sun…when the time come.
    Terri recently posted..Here Comes the Sun

April 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Ah, the joys of real life getting in the way of a perfect manicure.

I love the tights (and the dress). As for me, I wholeheartedly embrace the pale and interesting look, so I do nothing to prep my legs for summer (apart from defuzzing them).
    Emma at Daily Clothes Fix recently posted..Looking Bonnie