Confession

02 May

Daily outfit and style tips, wearing white shorts and vintage ivory blouse
A sophomore attempt

I have a confession to make. I have never before in my life dressed up a pair of shorts. Not until last month, anyway. After seeing Stephanie of The Loudmouth and her friend Bryn rock the shorts in Vegas, I knew I had to try it. I dipped my toes, so to speak, at my friend’s birthday party knowing I was in a safe place should things start feeling awkward. As it turns out everything worked out just fine. I’m always amazed at how trying something new can feel so daunting.

I figured if I could pull it off once, I can pull off again.

I picked up these litte babies a few weeks ago, the eyelets and the fact that they’re made of organic cotton did me in. I had a vision of wearing them out on a date. We were invited to a tequila tasting in San Francisco on Saturday, which we followed up with dinner at a new restaurant. It was a fairly warm late afternoon and I had my coat with me. For those of you who don’t know San Francisco’s weather, it rarely gets hot and often gets chilly in the evenings, hence the precautionary coat. My outfit was incredibly comfortable—of course it was—I was wearing shorts! I was even complimented which is always a nice treat.

Daily outfit and style tips, wearing white shorts and gold tights
The gold tights are very shimmery

We tasted about six brands of tequila; starting with blanco, continuing with reposado and finishing with añejo. If they offered a special reserve of some sort we tasted those also at the end. The concept behind tasting the blanco first is that it’s still young and the forward flavor is representative of what will be the foundation which carries into the more aged reposado and añejo. If you don’t like the blanco at all, it’s likely that you won’t enjoy the more aged tequila of that harvest either.

And you thought this blog was just about fashion.

This is what happens when you’re married to a man who knows his spirits. A little is bound to rub off. My favorite tequila of the night was the Casa 7 Leguas. As much fun as it was to taste tequila there was only so much stimulation my palate could handle before calling it quits. As you can imagine, we had a lovely time.

{ style tip: }

Go for it! Be adventurous and daring, try something new! If it feels daunting, give it a trial run when visiting close friends just like I did. You’ll be more comfortable and should there be a wardrobe malfunction you can all have a good laugh.

White organic cotton eyelet shorts/H&M, vintage ivory blouse/thrifted, gold tights/Urban Outfitters, ochre yellow elastic belt/Anthropologie, suede khaki shoes/Earthies, steampunk dragonfly necklace/gifted.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Franca

May 2, 2011 at 7:10 am

You look so good in shorts! i’ve never tried them myself!
    Franca recently posted..Tutorial- Adding borders to photos in photoshop

2. doc starr

May 2, 2011 at 7:10 am

very cute. love the color of the tights.
    doc starr recently posted..pony hair &amp cheetah print for spring &amp summer yes!

3. Anna

May 2, 2011 at 7:21 am

oh! I got the same shorts!!! beautiful aren’t they?? I’ve lined up a post for tomorrow featuring them!!
    I love this eyelet embroidery…I’m such a fan of it!
    Anna recently posted..Let Me Dream

4. Sally

May 2, 2011 at 8:36 am

You’re my hero. What a FABULOUS way to style up a pair of fancy shorts!
    Sally recently posted..What is a Lady

5. bestofbklyn

May 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Wow, those shorts are so cute, and I adore how you styled them!

6. Gracey at Fashion For Giants

May 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I love the idea of dressing shorts up. I’ve only tried it once myself, but really liked it. And I really like this on you. I think it’s all just perfect, from the color palette to the proportion.
    Gracey at Fashion For Giants recently posted..WeeCap- April 30th and May 1st

7. Cloud of Secrets

May 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Very pretty! I haven’t even *worn* shorts in…20 years? Something like that. I prefer to hide my leg expanses from the world. The style for doing nice shorts with opaque tights almost makes them seem feasible to me, though.

I had no idea there was so much variety in tequila!
    Cloud of Secrets recently posted..Fan of Manning

May 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm

love the outfit.. I have never done this with shorts either.. now that you have tested the waters maybe I will too!! LOL.. great colors on you also.. love the softness of the off white on you!! and the tequilla.. you are hardcore girl!! LOVE IT .. LOL
    Jodi recently posted..Rainy May Day

May 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This is the way to dress up anything!
    The belt, the skirt, the shorts and those fabulous tights are just fantastic together.
    Ofelia recently posted..What I wore to go to

10. Señora Allnut

May 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Delightful!, I think you look pretty in your shorts and love the yellow-mustard-white color combo you’ve created!, so cute!, and nice to read it’s a comfortable outfit!
    besos

11. Krystle

May 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I knew I saw these at H&M recently!! Haha! They look fabulous on you! I begged them to work for me when I tried them, but to no avail. Not every piece is mady for everyone, but they do look really good on you! Last summer was my first wearing shorts other than running shorts. :) So you aren’t the only one! Keep rocking it, honey! :)

Krys
    Fierce|Fabulous|Fit
    @FierceFabFit
    Krystle recently posted..White-Out!

May 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm

A TEQUILA TASTING? I hope there’s one while I’m visiting you. If not, we should create our own, yes? Thanks for the mention and I’m so happy you decided to try it yourself! Shorts with tights is my favorite!!! :)

The-Loudmouth.com
    @theloudermouth
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Photoshoot Final Cut

13. Jessica

May 4, 2011 at 4:50 am

F, you look lovely!! I can not understand how you never wore shorts before!! Love the shorts and tights… well the whole thing really.
    Im also partial to a bit of tequila… :)
    Jessica recently posted..Vintage Photographs

14. For Those About To Shop

May 4, 2011 at 5:43 am

Eyelet and the colour white are two of my favourite things. Very pretty!

15. Lindsay Bradley

May 4, 2011 at 6:20 am

Those are some super sassy, gorgeous shorts! I love how you paired them with the gold tights. I can’t say I’m much for tequila, although I’ve had it several times in my life. I like it most in a margarita so I don’t have to taste it so much.
    Lindsay Bradley recently posted..From Another Time

16. Sarah Ashley

May 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Hello Fabienne darling!! I am SALIVATING over those shorts!! They are gorgeous, and I think I might have to get myself a pair once I have funds in the bank. While this might have been your first shorts time (I don’t wear short that often either), you still look both gorgeous and confident… It’s definitely a look you are totally rocking!

xx Sarah Ashley