A sleek line

04 May

Daily outfit and style tip, wearing wide-leg hemp pants and white tunic
Sleek in white

It’s not that I don’t love white, it’s that upon closer inspection I’ve discovered I have so little of it.

It’s never about how much you have, it’s how you use it.

There’s more beneath the surface of this outfit. On Sunday I decided that I should get my sewing privileges revoked if I didn’t actually sew something soon. One can’t beg Santa for a sewing machine and not sew. Even if Santa is one’s husband. Lo and behold, I came across my favorite wide-leg hemp pants while rummaging through the pile of things to alter. Too big to wear, do I dare? Yes, I dare.

I took the waistband apart carefully, took a few inches out and put the whole precarious endeavor back together. I’m pretty proud of the end result considering that I technically winged it. I can use a sewing machine but I don’t claim to know how to sew; I’m working on it. Check out more photos of my handywork on my facebook page.

To see how others are wearing white, check out Pretty Shiny Sparkly’s Bloggers Do It Better “White Out” challenge this week. While I didn’t technically participate, I was inspired to create an outfit based on hearing about the challenge.

{ style tip: }

The wide legs were offset by a form-fitting top to create a sleek silhouette. When wearing baggy bottoms, a form-fitting top offers a sharp contrast and keeps your look from getting frumpy.

Baggy wide-leg pants are so light and comfortable on a hot day. Do you have a pair? What do you wear them with?

Wide-leg hemp pants/Michael Kors, tiered white tunic/Nordstrom’s Rack, necklace/gifted, flat casual shoes/Naturalizer.

Tags: , , ,

1. Pam @over50feeling40

May 4, 2011 at 8:40 am

Hi, I just discovered your blog and I really like it…you have very nice graphics and pictures. I am a new follower and I will return. Hope you can visit me sometime!! Looks like we do the same blog events!
    Pam @over50feeling40 recently posted..Soap Star Discovers Rising Star in Jewelry Design

2. Fashnlvr

May 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

Good job on the alterations! You look fabulous! I am really impressed you were able to take the waist apart and put it back together. I can make it from scratch but altering pants is not something I have even tried. Heck sewing pants isn’t easy at all!!
    White looks good on you – loving that necklace!
    Fashnlvr recently posted..Project Style- The Support of Friends

3. Bella Q

May 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

Fantastic pants, and great outfit, Fabienne. You look so cool Californian chic, so very Angelica Houston circa 1974. Lovely.
    Bella Q recently posted..outfit post- Striped Like Santina

4. Joy

May 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

I was just thinking that I might like to take sewing lessons and get myself a sewing machine (not likely, but it’s a fantasy of mine).

I really like the photo effect — very ethereal in white. The structure of the top is gorgeous on you.
    Joy recently posted..Plus Size Swimwear- Always for Me

May 4, 2011 at 11:17 am

You look very sophisticate in a classic 70′s style!
    Ofelia recently posted..Sunday we visited Mami- observed the Day of Remembrance and

6. Arash Mazinani

May 4, 2011 at 11:57 am

I really like the look of an all white crisp outfit. I love the top with the banding. Well done on basically altering the waist band of the trousers, that’s pretty impressive!
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Dress Sizes &amp Self Esteem

May 4, 2011 at 6:07 pm

meow!! you look awesome.. love that top on you. and white is your color too.. lucky you!!!

xxo J
    Jodi recently posted..May Fourth

8. Sarah

May 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I don’t know that I could dress in all white. I’m trying to think if I even own something that would cover the bottom half of my body… Anyway, I love your top. I’ve never, ever worn pants like that, but I’m getting miiighty curious.
    Sarah recently posted..O Midterms

9. Bonnie

May 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I have virtually no white in my closet. I am way too pale, and it washes me out more than I already am washed out.
    Which is awkward since I am getting married in less than a year and need to wear a white wedding dress.
    Ugh. Le sigh.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88
    Bonnie recently posted..Christian Louboutin – Pre-Fall Collection

10. GRIT & GLAMOUR

May 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I so admire bloggers with sewing skills! If only I had the patience.

You look lovely. And I’m with you on the wide-legged cotton pants on a hot day. I have about 5 or 6 pairs. They’re as comfy as PJs. Throw on a tank and sandals and you’re done!
    GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW- May Day Martinis My Sanctuary

11. Louise

May 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I don’t wear much white either, but this amazing ensemble is making me reconsider! Sheesh, you are so talented! And you look so ethereal and sophisticated. Good work, Fabienne!
    Louise recently posted..Cinco de Fail

12. Cloud of Secrets

May 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

Yes, I love this trim 1970s look on you! And the palette and photo effect make you look like a slightly mischievous modern angel.

I have my eyes open for some sturdy but comfy wide leg pants and jeans. The silhouette can be quite forgiving, but I need the fabric to have some hold — it can’t be summery crinkled gauze or anything like that.
    Cloud of Secrets recently posted..Circle Journal

13. Anika

May 16, 2011 at 7:21 am

Well hello georgeous! Could you look any more amazing! I adore this look on you, very inspiring! Mwuah xx
    Anika recently posted..Vintage ByAnika- Flaming June &amp Anika