My tribe

20 Jun

Daily outfit and style tips, wearing coral ruffle tank, sage green shorts, blazer
Smiling with the flowers

I recently went back to the town I grew up in for lunch on a weekend. We were seated and served. All the while I couldn’t help but fixate on the faces around, familiar and strange at the same time. I recognized familial facial features and could take a guess at which families of my childhood they belonged to. How odd to consider that we can look so much like our parents and siblings, our cousins and aunts and uncles that we can be identified by strangers as belonging to our tribe.

These colors are perfect for spring

I walked into a Lower Haight street bar years ago to have the bartender ask me if I had a sister, proceeding to then describe my sister. We didn’t even live in the same city let alone run in the same circles. She was referring to my youngest sister who’s seven years younger than me, has slightly lighter skin and very long curly black hair.

At the time, I had very short blond hair.

I know we look alike but it’s because I know we’re about the same size, I know her face and her expression as intimately as I know my own. But how does a stranger know? Do we look so much like family in a poorly lit neighborhood bar that we give it away that easily?

I’m always amazed at the similarities between my sisters and I; the same smile, the same exact reactions and facial expressions to what someone said. What a precious thing it is to experience bits of myself in the mirror of my tribe.

Daily outfit and style tips, wearing coral ruffle tank and rose necklace
Delicate rose necklace was a gift from the hubby

{ style tip: }

As you’ve probably noticed by now, I’m hooked on this whole notion of dressing up shorts. These soft sage green shorts poof and pucker out like a little skirt. The high paper-bag waist redefines the waistline. To offset the bottom half, I chose a more form-fitting top and a simple fitted blazer. Platform sandals, (my favorite new shoe), and sandy beige flower pattern tights elongated my legs. I exchanged the sausage-effect causing DKNY tights that I had worn earlier for Nordstrom’s own brand. The House in the Clouds recommends them!

Last time I wore shorts I seemed to have piqued your interest. Have any of you given though to how you would execute this? I’m curious at how you’re thinking of putting an outfit with shorts together. Now that I’ve come back from vacation I’d like to put a “Show me your shorts” blog event together! Who’s in? You know you want to!

Soft sage green shorts/ModCloth, coral ruffle tank/Urban Outfitters, sandy beige flower pattern tights/Nordstrom’s, platform sandals/Urban Outfitters, blazer/Nordstrom’s, rose and sparrow necklace/gifted, vintage kimono cuff/Re4m.

{ photos: }

Filip Jach

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Vanessa, Take only Memories

June 21, 2011 at 1:10 am

What a lovely outfit! The colors are so pretty!
    Vanessa, Take only Memories recently posted..If I can stop one heart from breaking- I shall not live in vain Emily Dickinson

2. Mackenzie

June 21, 2011 at 5:31 am

oh my lord. purely gorgeous. you glow, dear :)

June 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Love ya babe.. great post.. and I often feel this way when I go back to my home town.. cant take the town out of the girl..!!! people will always recognize you!!

your top is totally gorgeous too, looks amazing on you- both the color and the style!!! xxo J
    Jodi recently posted..Before and After

4. Gracey at Fashion for Giants

June 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I have the same thing happen with me and my little sister. People I’ve never met who have never seen us together come up to me and tell me they know my sister. They don’t even bother to ask. We favor each other somewhat, but I wouldn’t think enough for people to just *know* we’re related.

As for showing you my shorts, I’d love to. I’m always looking for new ways to dress up my shorts, so I’d be thrilled for this challenge.
    Gracey at Fashion for Giants recently posted..Pleated Skirt Awareness Movement

5. Marissa

June 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That’s crazy about you and your sister. I’m an only child, but I did have someone say to me once, “I know exactly who your mother is!” I don’t see the resemblance, but apparently we’re identical. Love how you dressed up these shorts. I feel like I can never get away with shorts at work unless I wear tights underneath. It’s unfortunate.
    Marissa recently posted..Wish List- Noir Jewelry Natasha Ring

6. Katy

June 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Welcome back. Hope your vacay was relaxing. I totally know what you mean about going back to your home town. It’s all old and new at the same time. Such great memories that still exist and yet so many moments have passed without being there.
    Loving the shorts. You’re making me really want to try this trend. – Katy

7. For Those About To Shop

June 23, 2011 at 6:40 am

I love the colour combo you’ve created here! And I am in for the show me your shorts event as I don’t normally wear them but would like to give them a try this summer. That and a maxi dress :)

8. Elle

June 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm

You look so pretty! It’s a wonderful but unusual color combination!

June 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I would participate in a shorts event. I love this for precisely the reason you mention–they are a bit like a skirt. That necklace your husband gave you is beautiful.

June 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm

SO happy you’re back! I’ve missed you lots. I might be able to come up to NoCal after all, because I’ve realized going to New York would put me in life-long debt. We’ll see!

Anyway, I adore this color palette, especially with your hair color! You look lovely and the shorts are SO cute. I want!

Isn’t it funny how we can “look” so much like our siblings, yet not look alike at all? There is so much in our mannerisms and in our eyes.

11. Timothy

January 5, 2015 at 6:27 am

Good information. Lucky me Irecently found your bog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book marked it for later!
    Timothy recently posted..Timothy

12. blog

February 19, 2015 at 6:55 am

whoah thi blog is fantastic i really like studying your articles.
    Stay up the great work! You recognize, lots of individuals are hunting round for his information, you ccan aid them greatly.
    blog recently posted..blog