Taking a tip from the flowers

18 Jul

Daily outfit and style tip, wearing bold pattern flower dress, salmon cardigan, orange sandals, red belt

I spent a most delightful weekend camping with friends. There were so many beautiful flowers on the grounds, I couldn’t help but be inspired when I got dressed this morning.

I found this dress a few weeks ago in a consignment shop and immediately fell in love with the bold colors and the clean, simple line. I’m considering altering it, I don’t often wear dresses this long. On the other hand, it’s nice to have a dress that can withstand a windy day.

Daily outfit and style tips, bold flower pattern

The flower design was very reminiscent of Marimekko designs. The dress is from a Netherlands label I hadn’t heard of before, Jackpot. They seem to have pretty cute clothes and the quality of the dress is very good.

{ pinterest: }

Hey, check it out! I finally added a Pinterest button to my sidebar. Now you can follow my boards and see what inspires me. I love discovering what others are pinning, from new color palettes to cool DIY projects. If you’re already on there, let me know so that I can follow you.

{ style tip: }

I had about four other cardigans and lightweight jackets that matched but in the end I choose the one in a color and fit that didn’t fight the bold colors of the floral print. I had the same dilema with belts but the skinniest of red belts did the trick. When wearing a bold item it’s often best to accessorize in a manner than enhances and supports the eye-catching piece rather than take away from it.

In the field of package design, which is my chosen profession, we pay very special attention to communication hierarchy. What this means is that items are defined in level of importance ahead of time and the balance of the design is what creates this visual hierarchy; what draws your eye to the most important thing first, then to the second, etcetera. The same applies in everyday fashion. What is the one item or accessory that will draw the eye in? Everything else you choose to wear should help support that impression rather than creating visual chaos.

Floral dress/thrifted, salmon cardigan/Nordstrom’s, skinny red belt/Georgiou, beaded necklace/Nordstrom’s, orange sandals/Urban Outfitters.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

July 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

You look so lovely and flowery!
    I’m glad that you have fun and that you were around good friends and beautiful flowers.

2. Cynthia

July 19, 2011 at 2:52 am

What a great dress! I like that length on you, too. Sometimes it’s good to have something around that’s out of your usual “box” when it comes to length or other variables.

3. GRIT & GLAMOUR

July 19, 2011 at 5:30 am

This is lovely on you, Fabienne. And yes, I’m all for not creating visual chaos!

4. Teresa Hardy

July 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

You look adorable. I love that belt. I needed a red belt the other day, too and was wishing I had one. Wish I could see you in person today brightening up the office.

5. Carlina

July 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

This is such a pretty look on you, and from what I can tell, your sandals are pretty chic tool!

xo Carlina

6. ruthless

July 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

awesome dress!!! the length looks good.

7. Katy

July 20, 2011 at 11:28 am

Love this look. It is so fresh and summery. And I love how the dress is fitted giving off that semi retro vibe. Too cute. – Katy
    PS I still haven’t gotten into Pinterest but the way everyone is talking about it now I feel the need to discover that the craze is.

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Pinterest is just the easiest way to visually capture images you like online. It’s super easy and fast and fun. I find it really inspiring, especially for DIY, for example. I’m never going to remember to go through my bookmarks to see what projects were cool when I came across them but I’ll check my pinterest “make” board and immediately be inspired to make something. Let me know if you get on there so I can check out your pins.

July 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I like this dress too. If you shorten it, I wouldn’t shorten it much.

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm

You ladies all weighed in and talked me into keeping it the way it is. Perfect! And less work for me:)

9. The whole enchilada « The House in the Clouds

July 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm

[...] regards to assembling outfits and accessorizing. In fact, I talked about it a bit a few days ago here. As it turns out, this gal believes there are [...]

10. mobile social media

February 5, 2014 at 6:48 pm

І could noot resist commenting. Very աell written!
    mobile social media recently posted..mobile social media

11. Arrieta

July 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

12. windshield replacement in los angeles

July 29, 2015 at 12:25 am

Looking around

I like to surf around the web, regularly I will just go to Digg and follow thru