FBFF: It’s in the bag, baby

21 Jul

{ fbff: }

Daily outfit and style tip, oversize pink bag

Daily outfit and style tip, purse contents

What is? Well, everything. These are, apparently, the things I cannot do without when I leave my house in the morning. There’s been a slight change in Fashion Beauty Friend Friday. Katy, of FBFF fame, has evolved the schedule of the question and answer series from weekly to bi-monthly so that we may have more time to ruminate on each topic. The gap in the schedule provided an unforeseen opportunity. FBFF members can suggest any type of blog event for that week. This week’s event, “What’s in your bag?” is brought to you by Marie-Eve of A Pretty Nest.

At first I thought, why would anyone want to see the contents of my purse? Probably for the same reasons that I jumped on the chance to see the contents of Vahni of Grit & Glamour’s bag just a few days ago. This, to me, is beyond voyeurism. This is female history. Let me explain.

When I tell my husband to get something out of my purse, he returns with purse in hand, holding it with the kind of reticent disdain reserved for perhaps a soiled baby diaper and makes me fish it out.

I kid you not. He does not look through my purse. In fact, no male partner I’ve had has ever cared to. I think it scares them, there are girlie things in there. We women, on the other hand, love seeing what’s lurking within. Oh the mysterious things. What is that? I love that lipstick, let me try on your sunglasses. I have the same blotting papers! We bond over those mystery items. Do you remember your first purse? Back in the day when you and your BFF experimented with the content of said purses?

I’m reminded of a time when I was no more than a wee tot foraging through my mother’s purse for a stick of gum and getting lost in the fantasy, the Mary Poppins-ness of it all. There are secrets in there. Am I organized? (Not too much.) Am I prepared? (You have no idea how truly prepared I am.) Am I practical? (Mostly.) I bring you the moment of truth:

- Graph paper notebook. I love making lists and checking things off. I also sketch.

- Small notebook. My coworker custom made this one for me. I asked her to sew “slut” on the cover.

- Micron pen. Hubby turned me on to those pens with the graph paper notebook. I’m just pimpin’ his style.

- Michael Kors purple cat eye sunglasses. I squint at the slightest hint of sunlight. Like Miss Mole.

- LaFont purple reading glasses. Don’t laugh. You’ll turn 40 someday and will need a cool pair of your own.

- Ice gum. I chew for all of three minutes sometimes after a meal. I hate chewing gum. I’d rather eat food.

- Pink penguin coin purse. Miscellaneous cards go in there, like my Anthro and Sephora cards.

- Cheap fake patent leather wallet. Love the fact that it barely holds anything. That’s my wallet.

- Work security badge. I’ve been told I’m the only person who comes in once a year and updates her photo. I’ve been at my job 8 years, I don’t really want a picture of me with short spiky platinum hair looking 8 years younger now when I don’t look like that anymore.

- Green Chinese coin purse. Contains: clippers, nail file, knife, (yes, really. I told you I was prepared.), safety pins, eye drops, medication, ibuprofen, allergy pills and the like.

- Pink multi zipper bag. Contents: Girlie things, (you know what I’m talking about), toothbrush, dental picks, glasses wiping cloth, tissues, spare pen that I hope never to use because I hate it. A lot of Lactaid because someone wasn’t designed to eat dairy. Big comb for big hair.

- 3G iPhone. I’ve waited this long for the 5, I can keep using the sloPhone for a couple more months. The skin was a gift from my girl, Teenie.

- Skull Candy earbuds. Checking into Foursquare while at Radio Shack got me a fat discount on these. I know, they’re Skull Candy. The name alone made me feel like I should be buying them for the teenage son I don’t have. I sat there with my phone and read all the reviews before buying them. They’re great, actually.

- Keys on a bag keychain. I only have three keys on me: car, postal box, house. I hate keychains, they’re too big and make too much noise.

- Hammi the hamster pocket mirror. He matches Hammi the stuffed animal who hangs out in my closet. Hammi is short for Hamilton.

- Blotting papers. Useful impulse buy from Sephora.

- Burt’s Bees lip balm. I’ve always been a big fan and have about 10 lip balms strewn throughout the house and in assorted jacket pockets.

- Chanel lipstick. Love.

- Sephora lipstick. Also love and discovered recently.

- Hair clip and 2 hair pins. You never know.

- “Happy” bag. Most small things go in there.

- Unseen items: Checkbook, which needs to be refilled, camera, which I was using, iPod, which is still in gym bag.

- Additional miscellaneous visiting items: Scarf, book, lunch, magazines.

I’ve given away all my secrets. The 2 hair pins, chewing gum and the knife probably give away that I’m a female MacGyver. What’s in your bag?

Thank you Katy of Modly Chic for encouraging this topic. Friend Friday is an opportunity for fashion and beauty bloggers to share their thoughts on a specific topic and read what others have to say on that same topic. For more information, check out Modly Chic and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

Bag, (and did you see the size of that bag?)/ModCloth, “Happy” clutch/Whole Foods, pink zippers bag/gifted, green Chinese coin purse/gifted from China, hot pink penguin coin purse/Claire’s, fake patent leather wallet/H&M.

Tags: ,

1. Fashnlvr

July 22, 2011 at 4:45 am

I LOVE that you carry a knife and referenced MacGyver! Wow – you really are prepared! After looking at all of this I feel I may be lacking in the “purse contents” department! I used to carry alot of stuff but discovered that is exactly what I did with it > carried it!! Yet I never actually USED it so I decided I get enough of a workout in the gym. :)
    I love your Happy bag – it is so like you!

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I end up being that girl that says “I have one” whenever someone needs a (fill in the blank_______)!

2. Cathy aka Minister of Style

July 22, 2011 at 6:20 am

Fabienne, your bag is so pretty and feminine! I love your iphone skin…cool! I am so glad I am not the only “voyeur” who loves to delve into ladies bags!

3. Kirstin Marie

July 22, 2011 at 6:25 am

Fun!! I used to carry a knife with me, but I’m actually not sure which bag I left it in last.

4. Kimberlee

July 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

haha fun post! I love that you carry a notebook and a pen :) It’s a dying tradition!

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I know! It’s funny because I love technology but I just can’t replace a notebook.

5. Heather/H&K Style Journey

July 22, 2011 at 7:25 am

Your bag is adorable! And my husband does the same thing when I ask him to get something out of my purse. He just brings the whole thing. He calls it the “black hole”

6. Jess

July 22, 2011 at 7:58 am

I love that bag! And I’m totes a female MacGuyver, too. I carry a leatherman tool! :)

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm

That’s totally awesome! I love looking girlie and not giving it away, either. That makes it extra fun.

7. Marie-Eve

July 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

Thanks for taking part of it !

Yes, my husband too hold my purse as he’s going to explode haha !!!

8. GRIT & GLAMOUR

July 22, 2011 at 11:21 am

HA…my hubby is the same way…he won’t go in my bag unless I tell him too.

Now I get to see all those pink things in your bag. You look very organized. And I think you may be a Beemer girl too?

Like Kirstin, I also used to carry a knife in my bag. In fact, a three-inch-or-so blde by Spyderco. Until Hubby stole it (argh) and broke the tip (double argh). Been meaning to get myself a new one.

Thanks for the mention and the peek!

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Yup, we share a 330xi. Need the all-wheel drive for the snow. I’m definitely an Audi & Beemer girl. Heck, let’s add Porsche in there, too! Between Fil and I, we’ve had 2 BMW, 2 Audis, 1 Porsche but only one at a time, we never needed our cars much in SF. Anyway, that’s what happens when your hubby is a fanatic about German cars. I’m not complaining:)

9. Anja

July 22, 2011 at 11:46 am

looks like I am not the only one with colorful bag content! I am also a lactose intolerant person and I have about the same amount of stuff in my bag. Looking good!!

10. Dolls factory

July 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Love how you take everything in your bag , mine is a pretty mess too with all that we might or might not need during the day.
    great blog ,great suggestion from another blogging friend who follows you.

My latest post on the Dolls Factory
    http://www.thedollsfactory.com/2011/07/vintage-shopping-in-como-fendi.html…Vintage Shopping in Como, Fendi sunglasses from the 80s
    Let me know what you think. Have a nice weekend.

Let me know if you decide to follow, It would be my please to start a blogging friendship.

11. Alex Elizabeth

July 22, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Sometimes I carry a knife too! My father got it for me one year for Christmas. I love your Audrey Kawasaki iPhone case and Skull Candy headphones are totally the best. I also got mine really discounted and they turned out to be one of my berst purchases.

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thanks! My BFF turned me on to Audrey Kawasaki, I love that style of art. It’s pretty cool that your dad got you a knife. Keeping his baby girl independent!

July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Is the knife a Swiss Army number?

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

No, it’s a 2.5″ folding camping knife. It’s nice and sharp but super small. I use it for everything and started keeping it on me when I would peel oranges as a snack snowboarding. I just have to remember to take it out when I fly, I would hate to lose it.

July 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Such a cute bag with those lovely birds and the yellow and blue. I’m a purse-a-holic I change my purse everyday and carry way to much stuff on them.

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Ofelia, you’re like my purse hero! You have so many great purses. I have three!

14. Whitney

July 23, 2011 at 7:48 am

Fabienne,

I love your purse–so cute! And your “happy bag” is adorable, too.

I think we have the same glasses–are they Coach?

XO,
    W

• Fabienne Jach

July 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

No, they’re Michael Kors. I’ll have to check out the Coach ones next time I’m at Nordstrom’s and see what they look like.

15. Magdalena

July 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

I like your bag. It looks really nice.

FBFF? I’ve newer heard about it. I have check it ;)

Like every girl/woman I have a lot of different things in my bag. Maybe it’s our nature to bring all of this stuff with us ;)

July 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’m a little worried for Zach to see the inside of my purse… I think he thinks I only have one credit card. Ha!

Anywho, I love your bag. I’ve seen it before. Yes, I think I’ve been coveting it! And I love that everything you have is cute and color coordinated…

17. Mackenzie @ Whatever, Gatsby

July 24, 2011 at 4:41 am

love love love your bag! this looks a lot like my mary-poppins style amount of things that i keep in my own purse :)