FBFF: DIY Manicures

12 Aug

{ beauty: }

Daily outfit and style tip, featuring crackle nail art

Daily outfit and style tip, featuring crackle nail art

Daily outfit and style tip, featuring crackle nail art

I never truly realize my full potential for clumsiness until I attempt to paint my own nails. It would seem that the years of practice are totally lost on me, I still awkwardly get nail polish outside of the nail bed. I still proceed to slam into every surface before the nails have dried. I try to eat food. I do.

I stuck my hand earlier into a bowl of tortilla chips.

That’s why I usually opt to pay a professional. But things are looking up, my friends. I might have finally found the nail polish for me; the one that loves me back. Crackle. Camouflage for the clumsy. I can see this action making a repeat performance. I even think that next time around it will look better, they say practice makes perfect.

Daily outfit and style tip, featuring crackle nail art products

Daily outfit and style tip, featuring manicure products

I had to buy a few things to do this right. I needed a base coat, top coat and color dryer. Here’s a list of all the products I used:

• Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as Nails Nylon + Retinol Strengthener
  • Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Snappy Sorbet
  • Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in Fuchsia Shock
  • Sally Hansen Nail Shine Miracle Top Coat
  • Sally Hansen Dry Kwik Nail Color Dryer

I basically laid a single coat of everything listed, in that order. Next time I will put two coats of the bottom color to make it richer. If you go back and look at the first picture there’s no top coat and the crackle is matte which, in hindsight, I think looks pretty cool. Next time, no shiny top coat on top of the crackle. Maybe I’ll try the shiny top coat before applying the matte crackle for extra contrast. I love playing with contrasting textures. What do you think, shiny or matte crackle?

{ fbff: }

I’ve shared my DIY manicure with you for Fashion Beauty Friend Friday, theme courtesy of Miss Rockwell of  Lifestyles of the Thrifty and Shameless. Check out all the participants by going to her blog. I can’t wait to see what the other ladies have done, I just know there’s a lot of creativity out there. I’m just getting started, there may be hope for me yet.

Thank you Katy of Modly Chic for encouraging this topic. Friend Friday is an opportunity for fashion and beauty bloggers to share their thoughts on a specific topic and read what others have to say on that same topic. For more information, check out Modly Chic and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Inez | Style Chic 360

August 12, 2011 at 5:27 am

I LOVE your nails. Love those two colors together, so fabulous! You did a great job!

2. Rebekah

August 12, 2011 at 5:28 am

I love the orange and pink together! I really need to get one of those cuticle stick things. My nails look pretty terrible, but they’re polka dotted, so they’ve got that going for them. Heh.

3. Kimberlee

August 12, 2011 at 5:45 am

I love how crackle camouflage some flaws ;) You have long gorgeous nails – so jealous!

4. brett

August 12, 2011 at 6:31 am

Your crackle turned out well
    I have seen some disaters!
    love the color combo you choose.
    have a great weekend
    brett

5. mae

August 12, 2011 at 8:36 am

WOW! Your crackle looks fabulous! Love the color combo…well done. You and I both know how mine turned out ;) but I’m glad it worked so well for you! And I love your blog, so happy I found you through FBFF! (oh and I love the picture of the polishes all lined up with the sun shining through…they look like superhereos to the rescue.)
    xx,
    mae

6. GRIT & GLAMOUR

August 12, 2011 at 8:42 am

I love this color combo! I have to admit that it has taken a couple years of weekly DIY manicures for me to nail the polishing part. I do find that using an orangewood stick to remove polish from my cuticles while it’s wet is very helpful. That and painting my thumbs last so I can use my thumbnails to clean up up misplaced polish!

7. Dress Me Polly

August 12, 2011 at 9:45 am

I’m the same, chipping the polish before its even dried. I was shown in a cosmetics shop that a thin layer of the crackle gives best result. But I wouldn’t really know, couldn’t bring myself to cough up the 12 Euro for the polish, as I figured I might just constantly pick away at that top crackle layer… is that just me?
    Perfect colour combo, btw!

8. No Guilt Fashion

August 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Nail polish for the clumsy! Love it! This mani turned out great. I love those colors together.

9. Amanne

August 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm

This is actually a crackle polish that I’m loving! I have the originally black one from OPI and I never use it because I just hate the look.

Love the color combo – it’s like a vacation on your nails haha.

10. Casee Marie

August 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Love this look! I’ve tried the crackle look once so far – I have the OPI Shatter in the silver shade they released this year as part of their promotion for the new Pirates of the Caribbean film. I tried it over mint, but I would have liked it a lot more if the crackle coat had been matte like this one! It was glittery and mixed with the mint was just a little too busy. I’ll have to look for Sally’s version next time. Love the colors you used!

11. Courtney

August 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I personally like matte everything. I only do glossy on my toes!

12. Arash Mazinani

August 13, 2011 at 4:38 am

I really like the orange and pink you went for that was a really good choice of colours. The crackle effect is huge at the moment.

August 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Loving the color combinations!

14. Fashnlvr

August 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm

You did a great job with this! Pink with the orange is so on trend! I didn’t know the crackle could look so good!!

15. Katie

August 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Crackle polish is so much fun to play with – and is much easier if you make mistakes!

16. Courtney

August 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

What great colors together! I have been trying the different crackle polishes, and this is one of the best combinations I have seen. It’s subtle, but perky. Cute! :)

17. deborah lippmann

August 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness on your put up is just great and that i can assume you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to snatch your feed to stay up to date with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please keep up the enjoyable work.
    deborah lippmann recently posted..1