Show me your shorts! – Pushing past the fear

15 Aug

{ blog event: }

Daily outfit and style tip, wearing mint green bubble shorts, salmon tank and peach blazer

Overcoming fears. Pushing ourselves. Redefining our place in the world. Being proud of who we are while embracing the unknown of what we will become. What does all this have to do with showing your shorts?

A few weeks ago I called on you to submit photos of yourselves wearing shorts. I picked this in particular because it happened to be the one item of clothing that was a stretch for me to wear comfortably and I pushed myself to get over it. It’s not the wearing of shorts that makes me feel better about myself, it’s the pushing past the fear. I decided to celebrate that push, we all have fears to overcome but it is infinitely easier to push when we don’t feel alone.

I have news for you, you’re never alone over here.

See and read how these ladies wore their shorts. For some it was hard, for others it was completely natural. By sharing their photos each gives us inspiration and each gives us cause to celebrate ourselves and our bodies. Stephanie of The Loudmouth was my inspiration to push myself. Who will be yours?

{ participants: }

Stephanie, The Loudmouth

When people think of Minnesota, they think of snow. And BELIEVE ME, we get snow. But we also get incredible, suffocating, oppressive heat and humidity in the summer and when it’s hot outside, shorts are virtually all I can wear. And, thankfully, my fellow Minnesotans seem to feel similarly and sport shorts all summer long. The very idea that any woman would feel her body isn’t worthy of shorts makes me want to shake my tiny fists at the sky. No matter how big, small, long, short, scarred, hairy, pocked, smooth, wrinkled, tanned, or pale your legs are, you can and should wear shorts if the spirit moves you. Never let anyone tell you otherwise. Promise me. – Sally, Already Pretty

I don’t like being told what to do. So, when my thighs, who are both bossy and rebellious, tried to tell me not to wear shorts, I decided on a little rebellion of my own. I’m wearing shorts and I’m happy to be doing so. Viva la shorts! – Gracey, Fashion For Giants

I know that short shorts on a “mature” woman is a major fashion faux pas. I believe the proper protocol calls for a no more than two-fingers above the knee hemline. I tried to do this about 6 years ago, when I turned 40. When I was 39 I wore what I believed to be my last spate of micro-minis because I planned to retire my short hemlines and trade ‘em in for a more modest and mature skirt, and shorts length.

For a year I wore what is now called “metro shorts.” And I call them grampa, or golf shorts. And you know what? The length dated me- made me look older and not in a nice way like toting an Hermes bag or wearing a Chanel jacket would. I looked dowdy. Old. Frumpy. And I said: fuck that. So I took a pair of scissors and shortened all my shorts and that was that. Now I shameless parade my middle aged gams about in saucy skirts and short shorts. You know the saying: Give a girl an inch and she’ll wear it as a skirt. Well you do now. – Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud

With summer here, showing a little skin is almost a must to keep cool in the heat. Over the years, I have pushed myself to be more comfortable with my body – including showing off my legs in shorts. These denim cut-offs were a do-it-yourself project have been my go-to pair for the summer and I feel wonderful in them. – Callie, Unladylike

I started wearing “short” shorts the last 3-4 years. I usually wear shorts that are a little bit above the knee, but lately I’ve ventured into shorted shorts. These black ones are my favorites because their length is ideal for both wearing in the office and going out. And black is always a classical color that never goes out of fashion! – Anna, Designed By Ann

These shorts are actually a pair of “Just My Size” jeans that were too short, which I cut off. I am nervous about showing my legs and knees in photos – therefore I cover them up.This is a challenge for me to not worry about what others think and to just push myself outside of my comfort zone. Therefore, you can see me and my “not-so-perfect” parts. I hope you are encouraged to not be so concerned about the outside but worry more about the inside. Right now, I need to work on the inside…. so this was perfect timing! - Sherry, Girls Day Out

I love having bare legs! I would wear shorts to work everyday if I could find some that fit me well. Either the shorts are too short and inappropriate to wear to work (too much upper leg chub dangling out), or they are too boxy and manly looking (like I am some hip hop star or something- just call me J-Dog yo yo if you know what I mean). These black shorts are the lone pair I own that I wear with heels and a dressier top. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else is wearing so I can get some more ideas!! – Jodi, Day2Daywear

I just felt like doing something casual with a lil bling. Also often when I wear short shorts I like to pair ‘em with a loose fitting top. So i added this gap peasant top, which I cropped myself to these tan shorts by Necessary Objects. Then for the bling I added this rhinestone choker from BeBe, an Eiffel tower necklace that I added a second pendant to, this sequin rhinestone bracelet and these 3 stone jellies by Dollhouse. – Doc Starr, Doc Starr Chic

Being petite, short shorts are one way to elongate your figure and show off your legs. For me, it’s a secret rebellion against the tall, tanned, toned, and slim figures…and to show that yea, I can rock shorts too. - Jess, Stylepint

I wore this outfit to meet one of my girlfriends for some fish, chips and a Guinness at my favorite local pub. I usually wear skirts and not shorts however thanks to our weather I could wear shorts almost all year round if I choose to. – Ofelia, My Intended Life

I thrifted a pair of khaki Bermuda shorts a few weeks ago with the intention to dye them either red or yellow. I also got a pair of  7 for All Mankind jeans that had seen better days. I knew that they would work well as a pair of cutoffs, so they were destined to be red (more on those in another post) leaving the khakis to become my new yellow shorts. I love how bright they turned out to be! – Danie, No Guilt Fashion

Inspired by the colored denim craze, I went for a shorter version in my new favorite J. Crew shorts! I threw on the headband just for fun, and think I just found another trend I can’t seem to get enough of!!! – Carlina, Allergic To Vanilla

As a kid summer was all about shorts and t-shirts, swimsuits and flipflops. But now as a professional, summer has become more about trying not to melt while running errands and attempting to still look fresh by the end of the day while attired in ‘dress-up’ clothes. So on the weekends, I’m not afraid to bust out the shorts and run around town. I’m especially loving the dressed up shorts trend that was huge this summer, allowing ladies everywhere to look stylish and fresh while still wearing the play clothes of childhood. – Katy, ModlyChic

Yvonne, Fashion Recon

Terri, Rags Against The Machine

Nicole, Graph Paper Heart

Veshoevius, The Taxonomy Of My Wardrobe

Please join me in thanking everyone who took the time to participate, I encourage you today to share your comments and words of encouragement. It may only be Monday but in my world this moment is cause for celebration.

How are you celebrating yourself?

Mint green shorts/ModCloth, salmon tank/Urban Outfitters, peach blazer/Nordstrom’s, platform sandals/Urban Outfitters, rose and sparrow necklace/gifted.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Bella Q

August 15, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I love these beautiful women! And you’re right, it’s not the shorts it’s the act of pushing past our fears to wear what we want and feel empowered by it. I choose to be empowered by expressing myself in my dress. I choose to celebrate fashion freedom!

2. Fashnlvr

August 16, 2011 at 5:26 am

Wow! Everyone looks fabulous in their shorts! I love your look and where you chose to stand. The petals on the ground look like they fluttered off your blouse!! I love what Bella said about give a girl an inch > that is awesome and so “her”!! Everyone did such a good job! now I am wishing I had put makeup on for my photo! What a hot mess!! And for ONCE, I am not wearing sky-high heels in my picture!!

3. Alicia

August 16, 2011 at 7:00 am

I love this post! My favorite thing about being a fashion blogger is how I get to met so many awesome people and see so many different styles. This post was great! I wish I could have participated. I love shorts all kinds even the short shorts lol. My sister says I shouldn’t wear those kinds because I’m a mom now but I don’t listen to her. My legs are my best feature to me and I work them hard. I’m a beach body coach so I do insanity, power 90 and Shakeology it’s just important to feel comfortable in your shorts but the more toned your legs the better they will fit you. Ridding is a big issue with shorts.

4. Katy

August 16, 2011 at 7:07 am

Great post! I love how each of us are wearing shorts and yet each look is totally different and unique. To me that is the beauty of fashion – you can rock your look and still be current! Thanks for inviting me to be part of this and helping all of us push past fears. – Katy

5. Gracey at Fashion For Giants

August 16, 2011 at 8:10 am

Oh, this is amazing. Everyone looks gorgeous and I’m so proud of all of us!

6. faye

August 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

awww they all look so fab and bravo to bella for playing by her own rules :)

7. Carlina

August 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

such an awesome outcome F, I love the diversity from all your readers, it’s quite inspiring!!

xo Carlina

August 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Awesome post.. you went to alot of work on this and it looks great!! great outfit ideas on here too!! oh I am so conservative!! urgh :) xox oJ

9. Claire

August 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm

yay for shorts! they’re my favorite summertime piece! they’re comfy and can easily be dressed up or down!

10. No Guilt Fashion

August 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm

So many beautiful women wearing shorts! This was a great blog event. Thanks for inviting me to participate.

August 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for including me with all of these amazing women!
    We all have our own style and its great to see how we all put our spin on the concept of wearing shorts no matter how young or old we are.

August 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm

The variety of shorts is inspiring. I totally get what Bella is saying about the longer shorts!

13. Lovely Links: 8/19/11

August 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

[...] see what a fabulous group of diverse and talented women look like wearing shorts? Check out the Show Me Your Shorts [...]

14. Veshoevius

August 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm

So fabulous to see all the varieties of outfits with shorts and the diversity of women reclaiming the right to wear them! Thank you for organising this post!

15. Wearing shorts in and around the house – Stella McCarney, Joyca

August 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm

[...] came across this blog post at The House in the clouds on showing of your shorts and funnily enough I had already taken photos of me wearing shorts before [...]

16. Sylvia

August 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Fun idea! I had already taken a picture of me wearing shorts when I saw your post so I decided to post it straight away. I’m actually wearing shorts all the time since it’s so hot in Singapore and I’m working from home. It’s my ‘office attire”! My short post: Shorts in da house

17. Anika

August 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

I LOVE this! Love the women, love the shorts, love you. Feeling inspired now! xo

18. Anna

August 22, 2011 at 1:57 am

First of all I have to thank you for inviting me in this blog event (and sorry for commenting late…I was on vacation and iPhone isn’t exactly the best device to comment on blogs!!).
    I like seeing how all of us wear shorts and it’s truly inspiring! I think that we can all find a type of shorts that suit us the best…it doesn’t have to be cut-offs, as each one of us has a different style!

19. Vacations, Blog Events and a Guest Post | designedbyann

August 22, 2011 at 2:34 am

[...] Also, the same outfit (very “popular” and handy, isn’t it?) was submitted to Fabienne’s blog event “Show me your shorts”. [...]

20. OOTD: Hurricane Prep Apparel | Blogging for Joy

August 26, 2011 at 7:03 pm

[...] I actually wanted to wear these shorts a couple weeks ago and be included in the very cool feature on The House in the Clouds blog. Unfortunately, I missed the event, but at least you can read all about it here. [...]

21. Wearing shorts in and around the house – Stella McCarney, Joyca

December 12, 2012 at 7:00 am

[...] sylvia I came across this blog post at The House in the clouds on showing of your shorts and funnily enough I had already taken photos of me wearing shorts before [...]

22. designer-allows Girls

January 9, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I quite like reading an article that will make people think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!
    designer-allows Girls recently posted..designer-allows Girls

23. EfrenDBekker

July 24, 2016 at 5:25 am

Hello there, I came across your website by using Google at the same time as trying to find
    a similar matter, your site came up, it seems
    to be like great. I’ve bookmarked it within my google bookmarks.

Hello there, just was alert to your weblog through Google,
    and located that it’s really informative. I am
    likely to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate whenever you proceed this from now on. Lots of other
    people might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    EfrenDBekker recently posted..EfrenDBekker