Anniversary special: A year of hair

15 Nov

{ hair: }

{ 1 }

On November 1, I turned 44. On November 7, The House in the Clouds turned 1. November is a pretty special month! I decided to put together a couple anniversary specials, starting with a year of hairstyles. Those of you who have been around for this past year know that my hair is a perpetual work in progress. In other words, it never looks the same for long. Each cut and color evolves into the next thing; there’s no road map, no destination. The only thing that is not currently in the cards is lopping it all off. It’s taken me exactly 8 years to grow it out to the length it is from the short spiky platinum ‘do I was donning when I first met future hubby.

short spiky platinum blond hair

There were many false starts. One salon processed it for so long that it broke off and after spending an entire morning crying about it, I cut it off and started again. A couple years later, one particularly dusty Burning Man dehydrated it to the point of no return and the growing out process took a turn for the worse. An emergency home dye job turned it green, the following weekend I found salvation at a highly-recommended salon. Not still out of the woods, I started to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But it cost a pretty penny.

A couple years later an aggressive savings plan put me back in the home dye camp. While I didn’t do any damage this time around, I didn’t do anything noteworthy either. This wasn’t a memorable year in terms of color or cut. Almost all one length and mostly flat honey blonde. I have too much hair not to have it thinned out regularly. It looked like the letter “A” and did nothing to enhance my features. Then I met my future friend and hair stylist, Nicole. A genius with hair. It’s safe to say that I’ve never looked back.

a year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstylesa year of hairstyles

Having seen the diversity of my hair color and styles in the past year, what do you think I should do next? Do you have any particular favorites? I’m curious what you guys think.

Tags:

1. Collette Osuna

November 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

I LOVE your forever changing hair….I think its so cool to be able to lok back and see how it reflects your mood and color choices, etc.
    I dont know what you will do with it next, butIm sure you will rock the look!!

A Funky Little Fashion Blog

2. Franca

November 15, 2011 at 10:47 am

I like the ones with the bright colours best! they all look great though!
    Franca recently posted..Florence streetart

3. Kari.

November 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

This is a really neat idea (to showcase your hair). You have a lot of different looks. I kind of like the short hair on you (it just makes you look completely different). But then I like the really natural look and curls of 5 and 6.
    Kari. recently posted..End of the Line

4. Carol

November 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Very nice! You make me want to grow my hair back out but I do not have the patience.
    Carol recently posted..That Extra Half An Inch

5. Noel

November 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I have to say the one in the blue cardigan is my fave. it might just be the photo, but it looks like you are the closest to letting down your guard there, as it’s very natural and also a little girly, which to me is totally the way i would go. plus it’s so full and healthy looking, i first thought it was extensions (not a weave though, because those are ghetto).

6. Rose

November 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I am reeling over how amazing you look in all of these photos! That last one, with the purple and pink is Lisa Frank teenage dream perfection.

Also, I hope this doesn’t come off as rude (It doesn’t seem like you are REMOTELY sensitive about your age, but you never know…), but I’m so psyched that you are 44! You are 15 years older than me, and you are vibrant, beautiful, and constantly undertaking a deeper journey of self discovery. I find that unbelievably inspiring…sometimes I get that nagging dismal feeling that I’m past my prime, I haven’t done enough with my life, I’m stuck in a rut and I’ll never accomplish anything greater, and while, ok, it’s true I’ll never get another shot at being a childhood prodigy, it’s women like you who kick my ass into gear and make me realize that awesome does not start or stop at some arbitrary number.

Congratulations on your birthday, your blog, and your amazing hair! I kind of think you should revisit the scary green hair, but with intention this time. I would love to see someone rock the soft, pastel ombre look with minty mossy greens…

November 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Congratulations on a year of blogging and happy birthday my dear!!!!
    You look beautiful in all of your hair incarnations!
    Ofelia recently posted..Shopping in Miami Beach….

8. Sylvia

November 16, 2011 at 1:02 am

You have gorgeous hair and I love how you keep changing color. But I also really like your short spiky style as well. My favorites are your short style and the wavy style in the middle with the yellow earrings.
    Sylvia recently posted..Fashion through the decades and my blue charleston dress

9. Shybiker

November 16, 2011 at 5:46 am

I love your hair. A lot. Its length and fullness are very attractive. I’d trade my motorcycle to wake up tomorrow looking like you.

I’m also a fan of its nice colors, especially in pictures 3-7.
    Shybiker recently posted..Online Behavior

November 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Congrats on your many accomplishments!!! And you don’t look a day over 30, not that age matters :)

I love your hair any style! I think you should try super dark sometime!
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Look :: Let’s go to the fair!

11. Mackenzie

November 17, 2011 at 9:38 am

ummm, sorry but i still don’t believe you are 44. SORRY, but you must be lying, dear :)

12. FASHION TALES

November 17, 2011 at 11:50 am

I love how different these are, your diary of your hairstyles. You look beautiful and I love the unique earrings that you always wear. Love the colourful versions of your hair. xo
    FASHION TALES recently posted..Tones, Prints, and Body Rhythm – SS2012

13. freeda

November 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I love the purple tones, but I think the pic with the scarf is my favorite. You have lovely waves – are they natural?

I’m trying to grow my hair out too, but I keep getting the urge to hack it all off.

• Fabienne Jach

December 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Hi Freeda,

Thanks for visiting. Yes, I have wavy hair. I do manage it with product and a curling iron, or I blow it out, it’s otherwise a fuzzy party. A hairdresser once told me that I had her favorite type of hair. Not much out of the gate but can do practically anything and look good. I took it to heart and started liking my hair a lot more after that! Might as well find a way to love what ya’ got and work it to the best of it’s abilities, right? Good luck growing your hair out, I know how hard it is! :) f

14. Hilary Star

November 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Wow you’re so beautiful and your hair is amazing! I love all the looks, but I think my favorite ones are in pic number 3 and the last one. Pink and purple look great on you!

15. Links with style for this week

November 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm

[...] Fabienne shows us some of her haircuts of the last few years and wants to know which one you like best. [...]

16. Courtney

November 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm

The fourth last picture–red and brown–is my favorite! I can’t get over how gorgeous you look! I also really love you as a platinum blonde but you’ve wore the hairstyle for so long and you seem to be easily bored so it’s good to get away from it too! I love that you are so adventurous with your hair!

17. Veshoevius

November 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Tough call! You manage to work so many different styles. I think the blonde pixie crop looks very striking but you look wonderful with long wavy hair too. I think my favourite of your long hair styles is the blonde highlights. I have to say I’m biased towards long hair probably because I had to keep mine short for years as a girl.
    Veshoevius recently posted..Frock’n'Roll

November 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm

hey gorgeous.. I love your hair in all the photos and it ROCKS short also..I love the short cut on you!! you look hot no matter what!! xoxo J
    Jodi recently posted..Red and Leopard

19. Fashnlvr

November 27, 2011 at 7:51 am

I love the last photo. I really like the soft pinks and purples in your hair. But honestly, I think you are beautiful in every photo! You have great hair!
    Fashnlvr recently posted..Monday Mashup: Christmas Wish List and Purchases Rediscovered