Favorite shoes

03 Mar

{ personal: }

Trail running shoes Saucony

These are my favorite shoes. Let’s define what makes a shoe a favorite. My personal criteria is as follows: They should make me feel confident, strong and sexy. They should be comfortable. I want to feel like a badass wearing them. Bonus points for style and unique qualities. Alright then, no bonus points on this round but if I was tasked with having to save the world, I’d grab these as I ran out the door. They practically possess magical qualities.

They are my trail running shoes. No real style or personality to them. I wish they looked cooler, really. They’re not particularly attractive or memorable. In fact, I couldn’t remember the brand the first few times I wore them. But I didn’t buy them for style or make, I bought them for quality and fit. I bought them so that when I ran on dirt and rocks and roots jutting up I could keep going and going and going. And I do. Come talk to me when my face is red and I’m drenched in sweat, stretching after a good run, and ask me how I feel about myself and my body. I feel like a million bucks.

I love my body because it’s mine, not because it’s perfect. It’s my physical best friend. I treat it with love and care. Running is my peace, it’s where I get my strength after a hard day. Every bad thought and emotion gets shaken off to the rhythm of my breath and stride. It isn’t for everyone and doesn’t have to be. There are plenty of avenues for that same experience, I have friends that practice Yoga, others that dance. My ultimate purpose for having this in my life is that it makes me a better person.

I’m calmer. I’m healthier and more fit. I’m happier. I get to be alone in nature. My senses are completely engaged. I feel more connected to the world. I’m more confident. I feel good about myself. It’s proof that I can do it, day after day, week after week, and year after year. I worked really hard at first, I was not a natural. Asthma and arthritis in my feet attempted and failed to sabotage my initial efforts, they only taught me patience and determination. They taught me to pace myself, to be kind to myself physically and mentally. I have grown stronger.

The day after a good run I’m on top of the world, wearing my second favorite pair of shoes, which happen to be black over-the-knee boots, and feeling like a badass. What are you favorite shoes?

Black over-the-knee boots with avocado dress

Black over-the-knee boots with recycled sweater skirt, purple shimmery turtleneck

Black over-the-knee boots with mustard dress, black boyfriend blazer

Black over-the-knee boots with versace for h&m skirt, black button-down shirt

{ last note: }

You might have noticed my Google Friend Connect widget has been taken down. I found out that Google is discontinuing this product soon, I figured I might as well get used to no longer relying on it. There are still a variety of ways to subscribe to updates for this blog. In the meantime, I’d be delighted if you left me your url in the comment box, I’ll do my best to visit.

xo, f

Tags: , , ,

1. Franca

March 4, 2012 at 11:48 am

My favourite shoes are the brogue-style booties i’ve been ewearing non-stop since I bought them.

I recently started running again, but I have to admit i am not (yet) anywhere near a blissful running trance.
    Franca recently posted..Milk Pirates (aka my husband is insane)

2. Wynona

March 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I agree with you! I have also this favorite shoes that I wear always, it’s this flat shoes. It’s very comfy and it can goes along with any clothes you wear. Anyway, I love that boots! You really, it really has an attitude. :) Thanks for sharing this..
    Wynona recently posted..Unlock iPhone 4

3. Terri (@RagsMachine)

March 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I love the notion that running teaches you to be kind to your body. And, like you, if I suddenly had to vacate my home (tornado season IS upon us), I would grab my Skechers. Second favorite pair, my tried and true cowboy boots. Neither pair is regularly featured on my blog.
    Terri (@RagsMachine) recently posted..The Window Shopping Project: Old Navy

March 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love your first outfit.. and I know what you mean about the shoes… I love comfy running shoes and walking shoes.. I always feel so casual in them!!

Hope all is well xoxo J
    Jodi recently posted..Leopard and Bird

5. Everest

March 9, 2012 at 4:08 am

I’m not really into boots. I’m more on sneakers and running shoes. I do have more or less 20 pairs of it! I don’t like them.. I love them!
    Everest recently posted..How To Lose 5 Pounds In 1 Week – Quick And Healthy?

6. Cindy

March 12, 2012 at 1:33 am

I love the big boots. They make me feel protected somehow…yeah I know i know it’s strange :)
    Cindy recently posted..Is dandruff common ?

7. Juliette Statun

March 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I love your outfits! My favorite shoes is my stretchers and my second favorite is my Keds sneakers! I am living in tropical country so I am not used with boots…
    Juliette Statun recently posted..Donate Your Car: The Best Way To Give And To Receive

8. Dave

March 13, 2012 at 2:32 am

I love your boots, it looks very pretty especially when you are wearing it.
    Dave recently posted..A Fresh Look at Father of the Groom Speeches

9. Kelsey87

March 14, 2012 at 4:44 am

Love those boots! you look so gorgeous with that outfit and i like your style. Thanks for the post!
    Kelsey87 recently posted..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …

10. Thrixxie

March 14, 2012 at 6:53 am

Women are well-known for having collections of shoes…Even me, has 4 pairs only but planning to add more…
    Thrixxie recently posted..http://www.flatratemovers.com

11. Lutchie

March 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm

My favorite shoes is the rubber one…And I always wear it too…
    Lutchie recently posted..Bartley Residences

12. Erika

June 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love your boots. Picking a favorite pair of shoes is hard! I really love my wedding shoes. I wore a pair of sparkly Badgley Mischka peep toe stilettos. Not exactly an everyday shoe… I do love my black Vince Camuto stiletto booties a lot too. And for everyday, I’m totally in love with my bright fuchsia Dolce Vita loafers.